Tuesday, January 10, 2012

richard diebenkorn

If I had the big bucks and a room big enough to hang it on the wall -
I would ask the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art if they would
consider selling me Richard Diebenkorn's Ocean Park No. 54 (1972.)

Now I don't know why Debra Mancoff has insisted on giving the dimensions
of this really cool painting in cm  - 254 x 205.7 - but it sounds big to me
folks.

and -

~it's Abstract

~it's done completely in geometrical shapes

~the colors are soothing - mostly light blue

~yet in the upper righthand corner there is a rectangle
that is deep red

~and a few golds but not metallic

~and there is one very long and very thin rectangle
that is done in a sort of dark but not too dark green -
makes me think of moss really


Mancott tells us right off that Richard Diebenkorn 'composed his paintings
in response to his surroundings, from the sun-bleached deserts of New
Mexico to the luminous convergence of land and water on the southern
California coast.'

Now I've never been to New Mexico - or even California for that matter - but
I like this painting.

And if California can inspire Richard Diebenkorn to paint something as nice
as Ocean Park No. 54 - and in Abstract - then maybe I could paint something
nice in Abstract if I were to live in California too.





but what are the chances of that happening?






folks





:  ]

9 comments:

  1. Eyvind Earle. Did HE make your book (California artist & former Disney animator)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC - I din't bring it with me so I can't remember - but I don't remember the name.

      I did google him - good stuff.

      Delete
  2. At least Richard Diebenkorn is not known to be a paedophile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Known by "who". The fools of the world, or the sages?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some critic said that if he could be granted anything it would be to own a Rothko and have the time to contemplate over it.

    I think one of the Ocean Park series would do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ducky - Now we're on to something here.

    I need more time to Look Over the Ocean Park Series.

    I jotted down my faves - having never seen them before: 16, 114 but with 19 you are getting into something a little different - don't ya think?

    Thanks ducky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The American Artists in this book were chosen by Debra N. Mancoff - and I happen to think that she makes some good choices here - so I will say that she - by her choices is one of the 'sages.'
    C
    And you - JC - which category do you fit into?

    ReplyDelete
  7. JC - I couldn't bring anything up when I clicked on MORE ON.

    But Eyvind does get my attention...

    ReplyDelete