Tuesday, January 3, 2012

louise bourgeois

My book 50 American Artists You Should Know by Debra N. Mancoff
says that Louise Bourgeois wrote to a tribute to her mother - explaining
the motif of the spider in various media:

'the spider will repair any damage that is done to her web'

I'm ok with that part but listen to this:

'She doesn't get mad (the spider not her mother.)

She weaves and repairs it.'


Well let me tell you folks that I was bitten this year by a spider that
was most likely mad.  It burned two layers off of the skin on my thumb.

That sounds mad to me.


Louise Bourgeois was either obsessed with spiders - or she simply thought
they were interesting.

I don't know about that - and I don't want to know.


What I do know is that she had a huge sculpture made (927 x 891 x 1023 cm)
-which is in the Cheim & Read Collection of New York - and although I am
tempted to tear that page out of my book - I will not.

Out of respect for a fellow artist and creative person I will leave it there.

Louise Bourgeois is a Native Parisian - and really folks I can't compete with
that - now can I .

Louise Bourgeois is now an American citizen.

She has on display a 30-ft bronze spider in Rockefeller Center in New York City.






those native parisians must really be something - makes ya wanna dedicate
a book to them - hard to let them go isn't it

No comments:

Post a Comment