Tuesday, December 20, 2011

jasper johns

While pleading inherent stupidity - and just plain ignorance -
I will admit that until about four years ago I had never heard
of Jasper Johns.

One day I was looking through my Art Book and I'm thinking
Wow! Look at those really neat flag paintings.

Now - I have hanging in my Study aka The Presidents' Room
and jokingly know as The Oval Office a print that I got at
Hobby Lobby of Jasper Johns' Three Flags
(see my getting to know me post.)

Wikipedia says that he was born in 1930 - making him 81 now.

He had a dream one night and when he woke up he painted what
is called his most famous painting:  Flag (1954-55) which is hanging
in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.  Now to me Flag
is just a big, amazing, perfect and beautiful painting of the American
Flag.

but a couple of his Works that I really like are:

Map - (1961) also at the M of MA in NYC.

Food Flag - although you can't see it right away if you get up close
it is an American Flag and is made up of little squares in which are
painted all types of food.  Cool.

White Flag - (1955)  This is amazing and the largest of JJ's flag paintings.


If you google JJ and look under images you will see that this guy is truly
an artist.


Hands down.


Jasper Johns - I salute you.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, but JJ is a lib. He draws flag images largely to denigrate and degrade the "idea" of "patriotism" and "nationalism". You can do things to a painting that you wouldn't dare do with the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Speedy - You surely had to admit that when it comes to Painting - Jasper Johns is a 'Real'
    artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If by "real" you mean commercially successful, then I'd agree with you. But that doesn't make him a "good" or even a "talented" artist. His artistic "range" would appear to me to be extremely "restricted."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speedy - Let me tell you about an artist whose artistic range is extremely 'restricted' -

    Me.

    Jasper Johns is a good talented - and a Real artist - in every sense of the word.


    And that is my opinion.


    Speedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speedy - Let me tell you about an artist whose artistic range is extremely 'restricted' -

    Me.

    Jasper Johns is a good talented - and a Real artist - in every sense of the word.


    And that is my opinion.


    Speedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then we must agree to disagree as to the meanings of the words, "Good", "Talented" and "Real". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speedy - All I wish to say to you on this Holiest of Nights is:


    Merry Christmas Speedy - and thanks.

    ReplyDelete